How Your Skin Changes as You Age
Throughout our lives, our skin will go through a number of different stages. The natural aging process may look similar to the following:
Your face will start to lose baby fat and begin to look more mature. Very early signs of dynamic lines may occur due to muscle movement in the face. Acne is common in the teen years and may follow you into your 20s or even 30s.
Skin in Your 30s
Skin still retains its youthful look; however, it may begin to lose some of its glow. Crow’s feet will become more prominent around the eyes, and sun damage may become more. Many people also begin to see lines between their eyebrows, also known as the “11 lines”.
Skin in Your 40s
As you enter your 40s you may begin to see lines around your upper lip, which will be even more noticeable if you are a smoker. Wrinkles and lines around the forehead and eyes, as well as smile lines will become more prominent, as may sun damage.
Skin in Your 50s and Beyond
By the time you reach your 50s and beyond, the state of your skin will depend on your past skincare and life habits. If you have worn sunscreen when outdoors, minimized sun exposure, and taken care of your skin with proper skincare steps, you should enjoy graceful aging. However, if you have not taken care of your skin throughout your life, sun damage, deep lines and wrinkles, and lack of collagen will be more noticeable.
Aging Skin Treatments
At Pinnacle Dermatology & Skin Rejuvenation, we offer a wide variety of treatments for aging skin, including:
- Botox®/Xeomin®: These injectable treatments combat dynamic lines and wrinkles, or those caused by repeated facial movements. Common treatment areas include between the eyebrows, on the forehead, and crow’s feet.
- Dermal Fillers: We offer a large selection of dermal fillers to help smooth our lines, wrinkles, and lost volume in the face.
- Ultherapy®: Lax, sagging, and loose skin can benefit from this treatment, which uses ultrasound energy to lift and tighten skin as well as stimulate collagen production.
- IPL Treatments: Intense pulsed light is a great option to treat sun damage, age spots, broken capillaries, and more.
- Chemical Peels: These treatments gently remove the outermost layer of the skin to stimulate the body’s natural rejuvenating process. This results in renewed skin tone and texture, as well as a glowing complexion.
- Fractional C02 Lasers: Lines, wrinkles, scars, sun damage, and more can be improved with these lasers. By creating micro-wounds in the skin, the old damaged epidermal layer is exfoliated off and collagen production is stimulated for long-lasting results.
- Microneedling with PRP: Combining microneedling with PRP, which uses your own platelet-rich plasma growth factors, is a great treatment option for improving the overall appearance and texture of your skin.